Certain dishes intrigue me—sticky coconut rice and mango, most any kind of soup and stuffed pumpkin. So when I ran into a recipe online (the original recipe comes from Dorie Greenspan) for a whole pumpkin baked with ham, cheese, bread, garlic and cream, I had to try it. So much so, that I didn’t care that the family was out and I would be eating alone. Leftovers would surely be good. So with a glass of red wine, I set off.
Of course I improvised the recipe based on what I had on hand, but the basic concept was the same. It was super simple…for the bread, I used some stale grilled naan I had hanging around, instead of bacon I used ham, gruyere cheese, check, fresh thyme, check, garlic, check, cream…oops have to be 2% milk instead. I scooped the seeds, dried, seasoned and placed them in a 375F oven for a snack later for the kids. Then I tossed all the ingredients together and piled them in the pumpkin.
I popped in a DVD (foreign and a real luxury without the kids)–90 minutes later, I had the most scrumptious dinner ever. The pumpkin was sweet and tender. The whole thing was creamy, and gooey and luscious…kind of like a strata in a pumpkin. Perfect for a Friday night after a long week. Now, let me see what I can turn the leftovers into. Soup maybe? Stay tuned.
Ham and Cheese Stuffed Pumpkin
Brush the pumpkin liberally with maple syrup to bring out its sweetness—a great contrast to the ham, bread and cheese.
1 3-pound pie pumpkin
4 ounces stale bread (I used Naan) in pieces
4 ounces chopped ham
4 ounces grated Gruyere cheese or cheddar
1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup green onions
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2/3 cup 2% milk
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Cut top off pumpkin and scoop out seeds and goop. Save seeds to roast. Brush pumpkin with maple syrup.
2. Combine remaining ingredients. Spoon into pumpkin, pressing down. Pumpkin should be full.
3. Place on a foil lined baking pan. Bake 90 minutes to 2 hours or until pumpkin is tender and filling is bubbly. Serve, scooping pumpkin pulp out with filling.
For other Fresh from the Pumpkin Patch posts from fellow Recipe Redux members go here:
- Cherie Schetselaar – Grain Crazy – Fresh Pumpkin Risotto
- Alexandra Caspero- Delicious Knowledge – Pumpkin Enchiladas
- Katie Hamm – Healthy & Happy Hour – Pumpkin-Bacon Penne
- Alysa Bajenaru – Inspired RD – Sweet & Spicy Pumpkin Fries
- Everyday Tastiness – Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Dr Barb, Nutriton Budgeteer – Pumpkin Chili Chicken Pizza
- Elizabeth Jarrard- Don’t (White) Sugar Coat It – Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- Kristen Bourque- Swanky Dietitian – baked pumpkin oatmeal
- Marie Spano – Cream cheese Pumpkin muffins
- Regan @ The Professional Palate – Pumpkin Ravioli in a Walnut-Sage Cider Sauce
- Danielle Omar – Food Confidence RD – Pumpkin Goulash
- Emma @ The Hearty Heart – (Vegan) Cocoa Pumpkin (Whiskey) Mousse
- gretchen – kumquat – baked mini pumpkins
- Emma Stirling – The Scoop on Nutrition – Recipe Redux Chermoula Chickpea & Pumpkin Sliders
- Janel Funk: Eat Well with Janel – Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Nicole @ Whole Health RD – Kaddo Bourani – Candied Pumpkin with Yogurt and Meat Sauce
- Yuri – Chef Pandita – Pumpkin Apple Soup
- Lisa @ Healthful Sense – Pumpkin Cream Pie Filling & Pudding
- Jessica Fishman Levinson – Nutritioulicious – Recipe Redux: Pumpkin Pancakes
- Jane Schwartz, RD –
- Kat Lynch – Eating The Week – Pumpkin yogurt dip for waffle sticks
- Katie Caputo- East Meats West – Pumpkin Stuffing
- Serena @ Teaspoon of Spice – Whole Pumpkin Cheddar Gratin
- Kristina @ Love and Zest – Pumpkin Mash
- Carrie Miller – Nutrition Know How – Baked Stuffed Pumpkin & Pumpkin Orange Muffins
- Ann Dunaway Teh – Eat to Nourish, Energize & Flourish – Pumpkin, Squash and Apple Soup
- Kara Lydon – Peace, Love, and Food – Pumpkin Yogurt Dip
- Stephanie Howard – Give Them Something Better – Fall Harvest Chili
- Karman Meyer-Nutrition Adventures – Pumpkin-Potato Breakfast Hash
- Ayla Withee- Eat Simply – Salt and Vinegar Pumpkin Seeds
- Heather Calcote – Dietitian on the Run – Pumpkin Rosemary & Mushroom Quinoa
- Jill Melton-The Relish Dish – Ham and Cheese Stuffed Pumpkin
- EA-The Spicy RD – Pumpkin Pesto Bruschetta
- Liz Weiss & Janice Newell Bissex – Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen – Ghoulishly Good Stuffed Sugar Pumpkin
- Diane Welland – Eat Well, Eat Clean – Pumpkin Cranberry Scones
- Rebecca Noseworthy – It’s a Savoury Life – Fall Pumpkin Chili