In February, there isn’t too much at the farmer’s market except beets, greens and turnips—none of which make mouths water. But I love roasted beets. So does my daughter. The first time she had fresh golden beets, she commented that they tasted like dirt. Precisely, I said. They should have—they had been picked by our CSA just hours before. This past Saturday night, I popped a chicken in the oven, made a turnip and sweet potato gratin and roasted beets for an arugula salad.
Roasted Chicken with Gremolata
Roasted Turnip and Sweet Potato Gratin
Roasted Beets with Arugula, Dried Cherries and Parmesan
Tangerine Frozen Yogurt
Roast Chicken with Gremolata
Gremolata is a bright amalgam of fresh lemon, garlic, parsley and olive oil. This version has Paremsan cheese added. Serve it cold with the chicken at the table. Use the leftover as a marinade for chicken, pork or seafood or serve with pasta.
1 (3-pound) chicken
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped parsley
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Place chicken in oven and bake 2 hours or until done.
2. To make gremolata, combine all ingredients and mix. Serve gremolata with chicken.
Turnip Sweet Potato Gratin
This is a recipe adapted from Everyday Food.
4 medium turnips, peeled and thinly sliced
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly siced
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup grated Comte cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Layer turnips and potatoes with flour in a shallow gratin dish. Pour chicken broth and wine over vegetables. Dot with butter. Cover with foil and bake 30 to 40 minutes, until tender. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese, and bake 10 more minutes.
Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad
4 cups arugula or mixed greens
1/2 cup dried cherries
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese
1. Wrap beets in foil; roast 40 minutes, or until beet are tender. Let beets cool. Unwrap beets and rub off skins. Slice into eights. Combine arugula, beets, cherries, vinegar, oil, salt and cheese.
Tangerine Frozen Yogurt
1 cup tangerine juice
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 cups plain yogurt
2/3 cup sugar
1. Combine all ingredients. Place in an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serve with strawberries.